Sunday, October 10, 2021

Enroute Mayotte Day 1

Lumpy, bumpy start. After a day and a half at sea most of the crew is getting back to communicating in full sentences. We are down to two reefs in the main and a small jib up. Making good time - 188nm for the first noon to noon run.

Had some excitement a few hours into the journey. Crew says 'I smell propane'. Me, with my refined palette smel something but not propane. Seemed like some volatile concoction coming out of a paint can. Hunt all around and can't find it. I lay out to get some sleep on the settes bunk only to be awakened by the CO alarm, quickly followed by the fire alarm. I stumble out of my berth and the propane alram goes off briefly. It is over near the electrical panel I notice the on=deman diesel water heater is on. It accidentally got left on when Chris took an early shower before we left. I had put the exhaust plug into the hull to block any seawater getting into the heater. It did not like running with a blocked exhaust.

Paul


--short

----------
Sent via SailMail, http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment